From looking at new home designs to searching for house and land packages, as exciting as building your first home is, it can also be stressful experience understanding the process, finding a new home builder and working out where you need to start. Building allows you create a home that has been completely customised to suit your lifestyle, needs and budget. At Metronest Homes, we are the leading new home builders based in Melbourne’s West, and we specialise in custom built homes designed to far exceed the expectations of our clients. If you looking to build your first home, here are a few things you should consider which might make the process a smooth and stress-free experience.
Check If You Are Entitled to Any Government Grants
Dependent on the state or territory in which you live, you may be entitled to a First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) or you might be eligible for stamp duty concessions on the purchase of your land. Building your first home is a huge investment and any entitlements can go a long way in helping you build the house of your dreams.
House and Land Packages
House and land packages offer a turnkey solution. You find the land and choose the house you like from specific home designs, put down a deposit, agree to the price and choose the fixtures and fittings and agree to a timeline for when it will be built. Upon completion you will be handed the brand new house and pay the balance. If you would prefer more freedom of choice to select your perfect location and house design, you might prefer to buy the land separately and then engage a new home builder to construct your desired house. Instead of paying a deposit and then the balance on completion, you pay for your land and then through a building contract you pay for certain stages of the build – the base stage when you get the frame up, lock up stage, the fixtures stage and then on completion. This option gives you more flexibility in the location and layout of your home.
Choosing the Right New Home Builder
It’s important to find a reputable and experienced builder you can trust to deliver your home to the highest standard, on time and on budget. When looking for home builders:
- Ensure you choose a builder who is a member of Master Builders or the Housing Industry Association (HIA).
- Ask to see some of their previous work so you have a visual representation of their level of quality.
- If you are unsure about the design or layout of your home, ask for recommendations and advice. The right new home builder should suggest home designs and features that will optimise functionality.
- When discussing building prices, make sure you understand what is and what is not included in the price. Ask what items are not fixed and what costs may be likely to change.
Designing Your Dream Home
Regardless of the size or scale of your home, the floorplan and flow required will depend on your lifestyle and that of your family. There are thousands of home designs available, so it’s important to consider your wants and needs and work out the best way to maximise the space available. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Is the block size able to accommodate a single storey house or would a second storey be needed?
- How many bedrooms do you need? Should they all be together or would a separate master at the one end of the house be better? All bedrooms upstairs or one downstairs?
- Do you have family or guests come to stay often? Would a separate guest space with bathroom be needed or a single spare room?
- Do you need a dedicated home office or play space for the kids?
- How much garage space to you need? Double garages are usually standard on homes with three or more bedrooms, but you may want extra storage space, or a larger garage to accommodate more family cars.
- How much outdoor living space do you wish to have? If you entertain frequently or have young children, then a large alfresco living space with a grassy area would be ideal.
If you are building your first home and would like expert advice and the best quality result, get in touch with Metronest Homes today. We go the extra mile to ensure your custom home is built with you and your family in mind. With a reputation for being one of the best home builders in the West of Melbourne, we have a proven record of delivering high quality homes finished to the highest standard with no hidden costs. Get in touch with us on 1300 510 733 or enquire online to find out more.